Welcome Forums Forums Photography – Help and Advice XQD memory cards – info please.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Having just invested in a camera that uses an XQD card I have to say that I didn’t realise that I had to take out yet another mortgage to get a memory card :-).

Is there any advice out there please about these cards? What to avoid, where to purchase etc, etc.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Cheers.

John.

dmhyett
      Keymaster

John, I had to buy Sandisk Super Pro for my Sony but 64 Gb only and cost £20 from Amazon. This speed enables the imaging to keep up with ten frames a second Raw. Perhaps you new camera exceeds this. Also there is currently a shortage of anything IT so I am delaying replacing my aging PC as, apart from late deliveries, prices are higher.

Dave

JohnC
        Keymaster

Isn’t that the same shape/size as the SDHC card, Dave? The XQD is a different profile and the SDHC profile card doesn’t fit.

I didn’t come across any XQDs as cheap as £20 – I would have jumped at that!

John.

dmhyett
          Keymaster

I don’t I know all the different types and just looked on Amazon or Wex for the one recommended by Sony. Given that I had just spent over £2k on the camera and lens, I did not worry too much about the cost of the card. Interesting that I have been on several photoshoots and not yet filled the card; I always reformat after uploading to my PC and NAS. These modern ML cameras set to continuous can capture tens of frames from a single twitch of you button finger.

Dave

JohnC
            Keymaster

I just ordered a Sony 64 GB XQD card (write 400MB/s read 440MB/s) at the unearthly price of £119!

One of the card slots in mine only takes an XQD, so it’s ‘needs must’. It’s not just the new ML ones that capture the frames at a blistering rate. I haven’t put it to much of a test yet, but the spec says continuous 10fps jpegs and 10fps on raw for 40 shots before it slows.

I doubt very much if I will push it to those limits, but it’s good to know that when you push the button, it’s not going to freeze after a couple of shots in the buffer.

Cheers.

John.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.