Welcome Forums Forums The Coffee Bar Sad news and Homeless

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Weve just spent a couple of days in London with daughter and grandchildren . Sadly last night i found out that my friend Dave who ive photographed many times over the years i knew him sadly passed away last summer. He was found dehydrated in a subway and had suffered heart failure. During the pandemic nearly all the homeless disappeared off the streets and the last time i went last October i only saw about three all day. This weekend thou its almost back to how it was. I was pretty upset when i found out from another homeless guy who ive met before and was one of the handful that looked out for another. We had a few laughs and and often had a long chat whenever i saw Dave and usually managed to find him. I find it hard to understand just how the system fails people like him. Im going to miss him he was a real genuine guy.

dmhyett
      Keymaster

Andy, I know that you regularly contacted Dave and offered him at least verbal support. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between genuine cases and others. The local authority once told us that all people on the the streets of Cheltenham had been offered accommodation but had refused in some cases because they made a lot of money begging or refused to give up drugs/drink. On the other hand I met a guy in Cheltenham hospital who was being treated for liver and kidney damage due to drinking and had been told if he went back to this, he would not survive next time. I asked him how all this had happened. He explained that he had left school with no qualifications to work in the building industry but when he was 30 suffered from a serious Hiatus Hernia though heavy lifting and, after being repaired, was told he could only do office work from now on. So it was easy to understand how he ended up unemployed and on the street. I asked if he had any relatives locally. Yes, he had a married sister living with her husband and children but although they had offered him a home, he knew it could  wreck their world and was not willing to do that. Once he left the hospital, they would book him into a hostel and provide a taxi to get him there but realistically he would be back on the streets in a short time. It all seemed very sad and frustrating that we could do nothing to help.

Dave

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.