Welcome Forums Forums Photography – Help and Advice Re-sizing Images for Salons

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Useful to have instructions in Salon literature (e.g., CISP) on how to re-size images as required by Salon organisers. Having problems with 3 hrs to go! HELP!

dmhyett
      Keymaster

It is not just Salons but club competitions as well so CCC have regularly supplied training and instruction  om how to resize. In fact in the competition pages there is a video which shows how to do this using Lightroom, Photoshop and Elements.

Dave

lindaccc
        Keymaster

Dave, ! have just rewatched the resizing instructions as someone else was having problems with this.  Is there an easy way to get an exact file size ie for cisp 2MB?  Having adjusted the pixel dimensions to 19200×1200 I can’t see a way of doing this other than going to save as and then adjusting the quality which is a bit hit and miss.  Is there anywhere you can input that you want it to be 2MB

Linda

dmhyett
          Keymaster

Exactly as shown in the video. In fact by coincidence the figure I used was 2 Mb.

For resizing, by far the easiest way is to use Lightroom export as shown in the video. By setting the number say 2Mb, the quality is adjusted to suit. I always set these figures to match the competition in question and create a fresh JPEG for each competition from the master TIFF file. I suspect that because Phil changed PhotoComp to resize automatically some members did not bother any more so have lost the skills even though the video warns against this. PhotoComp is not being supported after this year so we have to move on.

Dave

lindaccc
            Keymaster

‘Exactly as shown in the video. In fact by coincidence the figure I used was 2 Mb.’  But this happened to be the size of the image anyway at maximum quality.  What if it had been say 2.5mb and you needed to reduce it to 2mb but as far as I can see it is done by the quality slider which can be rather course.  I was finding that it was jumping from 2.2 to 1.9 say.  Just wondered if one could specify an exact size.

Actually, for me it is somewhat academic as I nearly always use the Lightroom export anyway!

Linda

dmhyett
              Keymaster

Please look at the video again for LR. It clearly shows you can set the file size value and no need to be concerned about quality.

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.