Welcome Forums Forums Photography – Help and Advice Question on Topaz Sharpen AI.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Not sure if I am being thick but the ‘Zoom’ button on Topaz Sharpen AI confuses me!

If you select ‘Zoom to fit’, on this monitor it reads 29%, on my laptop it reads 16%.  The smaller the area shown within the white square, the bigger the percentage.  Percentage of what?

Here’s hoping that there is a simple explanation (for a simple person!)

Cheers.

John.

dmhyett
      Keymaster

John, perhaps you should try the Topaz forum for a definitive answer, if you need it.

I use comparison view which gives four previews of the image with four different settings. I always ensure that Motion Blur is one of them as I find a Motion Blur setting frequently is the best but I do take moving objects. I rarely change the default 100% Zoom but move the Preview Window to a critical part of the image (e.g. eyes for a person).So the % figure has no particular meaning for me I just want to see which variation give a good result and Save Image then wait a long time with my slow underpowered PC.

Dave

JohnC
        Keymaster

Thanks, Dave. I will try that.  I have only had a quick play (other things getting in the way at the moment!).  I hadn’t tried the 4 comparison views. just the split screen.

It probably doesn’t matter what the percentage means but it just gets under my skin when I see something I can’t understand – especially when it’s computer related. Oh for the days when they provided a User Manual. I sometimes get the impression that the user doesn’t come high up the priority list UIs are written (remember the ‘Engineer’s Swing’?).

Thanks again.

Cheers.

John.

dmhyett
          Keymaster

If you want to try poor user interface, try a Sony Camera. When you use the viewfinder, if you nose touches the screen or brushes against the multifunction control, you will change settings and may not realise for some time. On occasions, I have spent more time restoring setting than taking images.

Dave

JohnC
            Keymaster

The explanation I got back from Topaz was:-

“100% zoom basically means that 1 pixel in the image is represented by 1 pixel of your display — when zooming out (e.g. 50%), this means that 1 pixel of your display now represents multiple pixels of your image, and vice versa as you zoom in.”

And it turns out that the graphics in my PC aren’t up to spec for the software.

Cheers.

John.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.