Welcome Forums Forums The Coffee Bar dpreview.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ive seen it reported that dpreview.com is sadly going to be no more . It is one of the best sites for reviews tests and forums etc. Be very sad to see it disappear if its true. Also the photography show at NEC is been held in March next year not in October this year . Still gives us all longer to save a few quid for the day out.  Also been told that possibly one of people who sadly lost their jobs at LCE in The Prom is considering opening a new venture in Cheltenham dealing in SH equipment etc.

dmhyett
      Keymaster

It is a shame as I used to check some of their reviews but there are others. I particularly like Tony Northrup but Northlight Images is good as well. I only attend the Photography show if I want to buy something but have nothing on my wish list at this time. Shame about LCE but then I never used them.

Dave

dmhyett
        Keymaster

Andy, I have just discovered that DP Review is owned by Amazon.

Dave

AndyR
          Participant

Yes so it seems and are using 18000 job cuts as the reason.  Big companies making huge profits just dont cater for minorities .

dmhyett
            Keymaster

Many years ago I started using Raw Files and used a Raw File processor designed in Sweden by a small team of software Engineers. It was free for amateurs to download and professionals could pay a small fee for a few extra features. Just before Lightroom was first launched, Adobe became irritated by this Swedish software which was very popular. So Adobe bought the Swedish company then dismantled it. Adobe employed all the staff in their Raw development team. Not long after Lightroom 1 was issued and anyone with a paid for copy of the Swedish software were offered a large discount. I continued to use the Swedish software for a while but eventually went for Lightroom 2. It appeared that the Swedish guys did well out of this though the DP Review guys not so good but there are rumours that they may start again.

Dave

AndyR
              Participant

Certainly be worthwhile from their prospective if they they did re launch it. I dont know of any other websites that come anywhere near what dpreview offered .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.