Welcome Forums Forums The Coffee Bar AGM – New name for the club?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Just read the paperwork for the upcoming AGM and I am intrigued by the AOB item, ‘Discussion on a New Name for the Club’.

I may well have missed something but what is it about?

If anyone out there knows, should appreciate some background if poss.

Cheers.

John.

dmhyett
      Keymaster

John, this a topic was raised by a couple of members who feel that Camera Club does not describe us. Originally they were considering putting a formal motion to the AGM but then became aware that it was very controversial. They then decided to have it placed on the Agenda just for discussion and then consider later whether or not to bring as a formal motion to the next AGM in 2023. I believe what members will need to consider whether there is a better name (probably) but also what benefits will it bring and at what cost. I suggest you attend the AGM to join the discussion. I understand that this same topic was discussed just before I joined about 25 years ago but a change was then rejected. There may also be a compromise position whereby we remain formally Cheltenham Camera Club but use other terms when referring to the club in advertising media or our website.

Oddly the Club used to be Cheltenham Photographic Society but in the 1930’s this was changed to CCC because Society sounded a bit snobbish and might deter some from joining.

Dave

JohnC
        Keymaster

Thanks, Dave.

Interesting. I wish I knew what they had in mind – but then again, I suppose I can form my opinion on the night.
          I didn’t realise that it used to be the Cheltenham Photographic Society. Thanks for the info.

My initial reaction to a different formal/media name is not positive but again, I’ll have to get the grey cells in motion before I come to any conclusion.

You never know, there might be a huge discussion about it on here before the night of the AGM 🙂 😮

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers.

John.

dmhyett
          Keymaster

I doubt that John as few use this forum. However, there was a flurry of emails discussing the topic when it was first raised a few weeks ago.

Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.