Welcome Forums Forums The Coffee Bar Mental health Reply To: Mental health

Ricardo
Keymaster

Well done. I echo comments by Dave. Few might have stopped to help, or even to have recognised the situation.

It’s really sad when someone gets so despairing that suicide is seriously contemplated. As you say I hope he gets proper help. It’s hard to relate to what it is that drives folk to contemplate extreme actions, in whatever form they eventually take. Even harder to know what is the best thing to do when you encounter an unusual situation. Especially an ambiguous encounter in which you have had no life training or experience to deal with. Also the small possibility that the problem may eventually turn into a personal threat – possibly one reason why some choose to ‘pass on by’? I think you are probably correct, if someone is able to talk and relate to another person, such that they feel listened to, then things may not seem quite so desperate for them.

Some years ago, following a friend of a friend’s death, I read that suicide was the no.1 cause of death by young men in UK. Apart from seeing occasional signs for ‘The Samaritans’ in places like Brunel’s suspension bridge in Bristol, there really doesn’t seem much help.